Jump to content

Animal Crossing For 3DS Will Be Digitally Distributed

By Kevin on Sep 21 2012 07:19 PM
Upon further inspection of Animal Crossing: Jump Out! (とびだせどうぶつの森 Tobidase Dōbutsu no Mori) on Nintendo of Japan's website, I have found out some interesting information. As we should all know, Animal Crossing's newest title for the 3DS debuts in Japan on November 8th, 2012, with a retail price of ¥4,800 Yen. The North American and European regions will have to wait until some time in 2013. What's interesting, is that とびだせどうぶつの森 (Animal Crossing: Jump Out!) is listed to be digitally distributed.

Let's look at a few images from the website to get a better understanding.
Posted Image
Image #1: The above image is a screenshot taken directly from Nintendo of Japan's listing for とびだせどうぶつの森 (Tobidase Dōbutsu no Mori), or Animal Crossing: Jump Out. Aside from the release date info and price, there's also a small banner that says "3DS-DL." The first part, 3DS, denotes what system the game is for. The second part, DL, classifies how the title is distributed. Also, notice that the image holder, currently titled as "Now Printing" has rounded edges. This type of image is a placeholder for titles that can be downloaded from the 3DS eShop. Let's compare this to the listing (on the same site) for New Super Mario Bros. 2.

Posted Image
Image #2: As we already know, New Super Mario Bros. 2 was the first 3DS title to be digitally distributed. Comparing what we've seen in the first image, it's clear that the newest Animal Crossing title will be digitally distributed; at least in Japan.

Do you guys think it will also be available for download in the other regions?


About the Author

Photo
Let me think about this for a while...

Other Interesting Articles


Comments: 16

I really hope this market is actually working for Nintendo, and not just a waste of their time and money.
Available or not...digital distribution is useless for many gamers and 3DS users, as Nintendo limits the access to digital material on eShop to only a few countries per continent and going even further...banning any credit cards that are not issued by the banks of one's region/country.
So I and many like me just sit and watch...
And such policies kill my enthusiasm as a new 3DS owner...
But nevertheless I hope digital distribution will spread across many continents and not limit to Japan only.
Personally, I support digital distribution for the many things it does at its very core, like providing a method of which to obtain games that would be near impossible to find a retail copy of. That said, while I do prefer to have a physical copy of a game over a digital one, if possible, I still can't see myself, or anyone who lives in Australia for that matter, majorly supporting digital distribution for the really big games. Simply because of the sheer size of them, which is curently about six gigabytes at the very least.

For those of you who may not be aware, our Internet connection services in Australia are so ridiculously terrible in comparison to other countries that we actually have a monthly bandwidth limit, on top of paying for the connection itself. So, my stepfather is currently paying not just for the connection, but also for a monthly limit of 200 GB. If we go over that limit, we have to pay extra to compensate for that.

The government is currently working to upgrade national connection services, along the lines of making speeds faster, but that's expected to last a few years and isn't guaranteed to bring us up to the service that most, if not all Americans currently enjoy. As in, unlimited bandwidth/downloads. So, yea, I like the idea, but my Internet can't handle downloading 15+ games every month.

View PostLuffyFoxtrot, on 22 September 2012 - 07:51 AM, said:

For those of you who may not be aware, our Internet connection services in Australia are so ridiculously terrible in comparison to other countries that we actually have a monthly bandwidth limit, on top of paying for the connection itself. So, my stepfather is currently paying not just for the connection, but also for a monthly limit of 200 GB. If we go over that limit, we have to pay extra to compensate for that.
And here I thought this was a normal thing, worldwide.
I'm not entirely sure, myself, but comments from both my mother and stepfather hint towards American residents having unlimited bandwidth.
First, I commend you for having great grammar, Luffy. It always thrills me to see that someone actually takes the time to compose a post with correct grammar. Thank you.

View PostLuffyFoxtrot, on 22 September 2012 - 07:51 AM, said:

Personally, I support digital distribution for the many things it does at its very core, like providing a method of which to obtain games that would be near impossible to find a retail copy of. That said, while I do prefer to have a physical copy of a game over a digital one, if possible, I still can't see myself, or anyone who lives in Australia for that matter, majorly supporting digital distribution for the really big games. Simply because of the sheer size of them, which is curently about six gigabytes at the very least.

I feel the same way as you. I think having the option to download titles is great. It provides streamlined access to games without having to order them, wait in line, spend money on shipping costs and gas, or even leave the comforts of home. I'm a sucker for having the retail version of a game too. Heck, I have three copies of New Super Mario Bros. 2; two digital (JAP/ NA) and one North American retail.

You make a great point as well, in regards to bandwidth limitations. I never really thought about that but could definitely see how that would present a problem with areas that restrict their customer's bandwidth. This is going to be a problem, as you mentioned, with the larger games.

View PostLuffyFoxtrot, on 22 September 2012 - 10:04 AM, said:

I'm not entirely sure, myself, but comments from both my mother and stepfather hint towards American residents having unlimited bandwidth.

It all depends on the provider, actually.

View PostKevin, on 24 September 2012 - 07:19 AM, said:

First, I commend you for having great grammar, Luffy. It always thrills me to see that someone actually takes the time to compose a post with correct grammar. Thank you.

You're welcome :3

As for "depending on the provider," I'm just going by what I've been told in terms of bandwidth availability elsewhere. I'm fairly certain that unlimited bandwidth isn't an easy thing to access here. It's probably ridiculously expensive, given our current speeds.

The limitations also present another problem with certain video game publishers and their desire to go full digital distribution, because if they do succeed and gain what they desire in terms of that, I'll probably be forced to drop out of gaming completely for a few years. It's for that reason I don't play PC games as often a I'd like to; retail services have been in a near dead state for years. I'm having a lot of trouble as it is trying to get Phantasy Star Online 2 running, because of how many patch files there already are.

That's getting a little off topic, though.
Not to get even further off the subject, but I like you, Luffy. You seem like a decent bloke with a lot of interesting things to say.
I hear that a lot, though I'm generally quick to deny any and all compliments. I'm rather lacking in the self-esteem department.

View PostLuffyFoxtrot, on 24 September 2012 - 07:44 AM, said:

I hear that a lot, though I'm generally quick to deny any and all compliments. I'm rather lacking in the self-esteem department.

Well, you don't have to worry about that here, man. Just continue to be yourself. :)

You know...these digitally distributed games that come out in Japan are really inspiring my willingness to learn the Japanese language more and more. I'll most likely pass on this one, only because it'll eventually come out in the other regions. As for Japanese AAA exclusives though...I'm in!
Ditto. That's the reason I'm considering importing a Japanese 3DS, so I can play the exclusives that I want to play. I won't be able to understand much, since my knowledge of the language is still at the beginner level.

View PostLuffyFoxtrot, on 24 September 2012 - 07:53 AM, said:

Ditto. That's the reason I'm considering importing a Japanese 3DS, so I can play the exclusives that I want to play. I won't be able to understand much, since my knowledge of the language is still at the beginner level.

Are you currently, and actively, trying to learn?
Not currently, no. I had a bit of an issue with my physical health late last year and thougt it'd be best to take a break for a while. I intend to get back into it starting next year, continuing from where I left off. Or I might start over, if I don't feel confident enough in what I should know.

View PostLuffyFoxtrot, on 24 September 2012 - 08:09 AM, said:

Not currently, no. I had a bit of an issue with my physical health late last year and thougt it'd be best to take a break for a while.

Sorry to hear that, man. I'm glad you're doing better though?

View PostLuffyFoxtrot, on 24 September 2012 - 08:09 AM, said:

I intend to get back into it starting next year, continuing from where I left off. Or I might start over, if I don't feel confident enough in what I should know.

I think we should start a topic for it! :party:
All I know is I can't wait for this game!

View PostMz3ds, on 24 September 2012 - 01:00 PM, said:

All I know is I can't wait for this game!

Me too. The more info that being leaked on this game is making me oober excited. I love the fact of being a mayor. The really changes the whole dynamic of the game. All I want to know is if the old mayor (turtle) will return in this game and as what?