Jump to content

Final Fantasy Gets Its Groove On!

By aquizero on Jun 27 2012 09:22 PM
Are you ready to experience your Final Fantasy? Well, the time is almost here! Theatrhythm Final Fantasy debuts in North America on July 3rd, 2012, for the Nintendo 3DS. This is the first ever rhythm-based Final Fantasy title, and it's exclusive only for the Nintendo 3DS.

Final Fantasy games have been around a long time. Some might even say that the series helped build what we have come to know and expect from role-playing Games (RPGs). To those unfamiliar with Final Fantasy, the series is divided up into numbered titles (e.g., FF I, FFII, FFIII, etc.). These games are not related to one another, with the exception of very few in the massive series such as Final Fantasy X-2 and Final Fantasy XIII-2, where they purposely continued the game’s storyline. Normally, the games each tell a unique story, in a brand new world. What keeps them named “Final Fantasy” are the similarities they share with one another. These similarities may range from the race of people, monsters, magic, weapons, character names, character leveling and the turn-based battle system. The latest installment in the main Final Fantasy series is Final Fantasy XIV. That's fourteen different worlds, each full of complex story lines and immense adventure. In Theatrhythm Final Fantasy, you experience these worlds by focusing on the beloved classical musical arrangements found within each game.

Posted Image

If you're like me, the announcement of Theatrhythm Final Fantasy was an excitement. As more information was revealed, that excitement kept building and reached a boiling point. Theatrhythm Final Fantasy is not just about bringing us memorable musical scores; it's about delivering the beautiful and unforgettable movie sequences found in the games. If that still isn’t enough for you, they have miniaturized the entire cast of heroes and enemies alike, into a cute “chibi” form. This unique and friendly art style really adds to the light-hearted feel that this titles aims for.

Chibi: a Japanese slang word meaning "short person" or "small child," commonly used in relationship to manga and anime.

Are you worried that this game will not feel true to the series? Well, I'm here to say "worry not!" The normal Final Fantasy RPG elements are still here, in a non-conventional type of way. You will still level up your characters, find treasure, explore maps and battle! Even more surprising, is that summoning even takes place during battle! What more could we ask for? Oh yes, that’s right, downloadable content (DLC). The game's software developer, indieszero, has incorporated a vast array of optional DLC, providing you with a further gameplay experience. I don't know about you, but I'm not complaining about more music.

Though a rhythm-based Final Fantasy title may not have as large of a fan base as the traditional role-playing games, the wonderful collection of melodic bliss may be enough to sway audiences. I personally commend publisher Square Enix and indieszero, for introducing such a unique concept for the Final Fantasy series.

What are your thoughts? Is this game a must-have for all Final Fantasy fans? Do you think the game has enough intrigue to bring in more fans to the series? Share your thoughts below.


About the Author

Photo
Benjamin is a true gaymer. For nearly a decade, his interest in Nintendo has grown exponentially! He's not extremely skilled at any particular genre of games, but mostly enjoys RPG, strategy, and fighting games. His true obsession within the Nintendo universe is Pokémon, followed closely by Zelda. Ever since he watched the first episode of Pokémon, he's been hooked. To this day, he plays the main-series Pokémon games and watches the anime religiously. He's as close as it comes to being a Pokémon Master. His true passion for Nintendo makes him excited to write new topics for you!

Other Interesting Articles


Comments: 70

I already have the game paid for. Just need to go pick it up on the 3rd.
Yes I do as well. I honestly can not wait. That date seems so very far away though it is only next week!
First of all, I would like to say that you did a great job with the article. Before, reading this, I really didn't know much about the game. I knew the basics, but reading this filled in quite a few details. And, knowing those details, made me more excited to start playing this.

I'm really looking forward to this game and having the opportunity to battle bosses with friends...all to the beat of some awesome music.

View PostKevin, on 28 June 2012 - 12:55 PM, said:

First of all, I would like to say that you did a great job with the article. Before, reading this, I really didn't know much about the game. I knew the basics, but reading this filled in quite a few details. And, knowing those details, made me more excited to start playing this.

Aww shucks!
Yay i cant wait! I already preordered it when a release date was announced.. So ready for the music *does a little dance*
Do a little dance...

View Postaquizero, on 29 June 2012 - 06:43 AM, said:

Do a little dance...
Make a little love...

View PostDarthArk, on 29 June 2012 - 08:35 AM, said:

Make a little love...
Get down tonight!
http://theatrhythm.com/#!/us/home/

Anyone else love the music featured on the website? I want this as an MP3! Oh speaking of that I wonder if they will make a soundtrack to this game? Can you imagine? Yes please!
You guys got that song in my head..

View PostSkitty843, on 30 June 2012 - 12:00 PM, said:

You guys got that song in my head..

It is addictive!
Two turn tables and a microphone :blueshell:
The game was released today and already has DLC. Each song is 99 cents each.


The songs available for purchase include:

Battle Theme 1 (Final Fantasy II)

The Final Battle (Final Fantasy IV)

Fighters of the Crystal (Final Fantasy XI)

Fighting Fate (Final Fantasy XIII)

In Search of Light (Final Fantasy V)

Cosmo Canyon (Final Fantasy VII)

Ride On (Final Fantasy VIII)

A Fleeting Dream (Final Fantasy X)


(First DLC available for the 3DS btw)

View PostDarthArk, on 03 July 2012 - 01:36 PM, said:

The game was released today and already has DLC. Each song is 99 cents each.


The songs available for purchase include:
Battle Theme 1 (Final Fantasy II)
The Final Battle (Final Fantasy IV)
Fighters of the Crystal (Final Fantasy XI)
Fighting Fate (Final Fantasy XIII)
In Search of Light (Final Fantasy V)
Cosmo Canyon (Final Fantasy VII)
Ride On (Final Fantasy VIII)
A Fleeting Dream (Final Fantasy X)

(First DLC available for the 3DS btw)

Dude, have I ever told you, you rock? Well you do. This is awesome. Now I have to make sure I have at least some money to add to my eShop because I want some of these DLC! Man I have 2 hours left of work! It is killing me.

I am glad that this game worked out to be the first DLC on eShop. Makes Final Fantasy's 25 Anniversary just a bit more special in my eyes.

View Postaquizero, on 03 July 2012 - 01:44 PM, said:

Dude, have I ever told you, you rock? Well you do. This is awesome. Now I have to make sure I have at least some money to add to my eShop because I want some of these DLC! Man I have 2 hours left of work! It is killing me.

I am glad that this game worked out to be the first DLC on eShop. Makes Final Fantasy's 25 Anniversary just a bit more special in my eyes.

Why yes, I do rock. :)
Prepaid for the game, gotta wait til thursday since the fedex guy didnt come through today!! FAIL. lol Is the game as good as it looks?? The downloadable songs are a big plus, im most def gettin Ride On from VIII and In Search of Light from VII.
This has to be one of the most addictive games I have ever played. This is a must pick up for any Final Fantasy fan!
The game is amazing. I am super happy with it. Honestly the only thing I am not happy with is that the developers are thinking of making this a multi platform game. That would suck as I wanted this as a 3DS exclusive. What is cool is that the developers also are talking about making this game it's own series! Wouldn't that be cool? I would love to play more games in the series. Maybe then they would include games like Crisis Core, Dirge of Cerberus, FFX-2 and FFXII Revanent Wings and FFXIII-2.

View Postaquizero, on 04 July 2012 - 09:02 AM, said:

The game is amazing. I am super happy with it. Honestly the only thing I am not happy with is that the developers are thinking of making this a multi platform game. That would suck as I wanted this as a 3DS exclusive. What is cool is that the developers also are talking about making this game it's own series! Wouldn't that be cool? I would love to play more games in the series. Maybe then they would include games like Crisis Core, Dirge of Cerberus, FFX-2 and FFXII Revanent Wings and FFXIII-2.

They should add music from Kingdom Hearts and the Dragon Quest theme.
I am dyin over here waitin for this game!! yall make it sound so dope. My copy should be in 2morrow from fedex. Any kind of multiplayer? and do you think it worth gettin all the DLC? and Kingdom Hearts Dream Drop demo was hard I just ran thru it a few times. good stuff. DarthArk, do you happen 2 know anything about the untitled final fantasy project for the 3DS? sorry yall i know im the question askin bastard lol but like i told ya..im the new guy. ^_^

View PostFrampton, on 05 July 2012 - 12:05 AM, said:

I am dyin over here waitin for this game!! yall make it sound so dope. My copy should be in 2morrow from fedex. Any kind of multiplayer? and do you think it worth gettin all the DLC? and Kingdom Hearts Dream Drop demo was hard I just ran thru it a few times. good stuff. DarthArk, do you happen 2 know anything about the untitled final fantasy project for the 3DS? sorry yall i know im the question askin bastard lol but like i told ya..im the new guy. ^_^

We like questions and we certainly like when people interact on the forums so you are all good. As far as Theatrhythm, yes there is a multiplayer but it is local and not online. I have not yet had a chance to try it. One thing in particular that I love about the game is when you unlock the streetpass option. The little profile you have is so awesome!

View PostDarthArk, on 04 July 2012 - 06:16 PM, said:

They should add music from Kingdom Hearts and the Dragon Quest theme.

Well if FF Duodecum is any indication I can see them incorporating things from Kingdom Hearts into the game. FF Duodecum offered DLC costume packs for some characters that was there outfits in Kingdom Hearts.
It is cool once you unlock Streetpass. I have yet to purchase the DLC yet so I can't vouch for it, but if it is anything like the rest of the game it has to be great.
Really gettin addicted to Theatrhythm. I d/l one of the add-ons, Cosmo Canyon from VII and it was great. best buck six Ive spent in awhile. haha. and the custom stylus that comes with the game was a nice touch. I like the set-up of the Series part, I barely played a few hours and already goin back to smash my high scores! 10/10.

View PostFrampton, on 07 July 2012 - 02:11 PM, said:

Really gettin addicted to Theatrhythm. I d/l one of the add-ons, Cosmo Canyon from VII and it was great. best buck six Ive spent in awhile. haha. and the custom stylus that comes with the game was a nice touch. I like the set-up of the Series part, I barely played a few hours and already goin back to smash my high scores! 10/10.

I am so glad to hear this. I love all the music from FF7 and cosmo canyon is no exception! it works great.

on a side note: wouldnt this game be amazing on the wii u? hd graphics, no space limitations? if they really are thinking about making theatrythm its own franchise it could work so well using the wii u gamepad. then, maybe they could add a lot more characters from all the series... i can only imagine seeing red xiii, tifa, yuffie, vincent, cid and barrett in chibi form. I would just piss my pants with excitement.

View PostDarthArk, on 05 July 2012 - 08:13 AM, said:

It is cool once you unlock Streetpass. I have yet to purchase the DLC yet so I can't vouch for it, but if it is anything like the rest of the game it has to be great.

Street pass is awesome. i love that you can unlock different characters to display on your card. not just playable characters either SPOILER i unlocked Shiva for my card! I was so happy!
I would like to see this game turn into a series, especially what you said previously bout the other titles in the series being incorporated that arent just in the numbered FF 1-XIV lineup. Crisis Core remains a favorite of mine. I dont know much bout the WiiU. Im sure Theatrhythm would be alot better without the confined "workspace" with stylus & bottom screen of the 3DS. Good possibilities. BTW, ive got 6/8 of the DLC tracks for FFT and they have all been legit.