Jump to content

Nintendo Power Receives Final Chapter

By Kevin on Aug 22 2012 04:33 PM
Soon after discovering the devastating news of Nintendo Power's imminent paper existence, I was a bit confused; sad. I grew up with Nintendo Power since its debut. Now, at 34 years old, it's still my friend, and always will be. And, just three hours ago, Nintendo presented us with the official announcement of the bad news via their official Twitter page. They're asking fans to share their favorite Nintendo Power memories.

Posted Image
Additionally, in commemoration of Nintendo Power's existence, I want to share the following with everyone here. I posted this on my Google+ page as well.

As I was drifting off into a slight late-night slumber moments last night, it suddenly dawned on me that I should check to see whether a certain domain name has been snatched up yet. Due to all of the mid-afternoon and late evening hype from the world-wide capillary news outlets, the chances of the domain name I had in mind being available was...slim. Regardless, I immediately jumped up and scrambled to my office to check for the availability.

To my surprise, nintendopoweronline.com was still available. I quickly threw the name in the cart, and wheeled it away to the checkout. I then set up a page on my server and redirected the domain to that page. I will continue to work on different things and evolve the page along the way, in an effort to prolong the life and childhood of Nintendo Power and all of its fans worldwide. Heck, I may even eventually get separate hosting for this project.

My objective, at the moment, isn't too clear. My biggest concern was getting the domain name before someone else, who would let it go to waste, did. I have a lot of ideas, but I prefer to let implementation flow naturally. Day dreaming often throughout the day and night, before bed, is usually where ideas start to develop so I'm looking forward to turning those into actions.

Feel free to throw out any ideas you have as well. I love collaborating and pondering up new things with other like-minded humans.


About the Author

Photo
Let me think about this for a while...

Other Interesting Articles


Comments: 26

Best wishes to the site! :) Let me know if I can help.
I hope you have great sucess with this site. Will you be putting up readable or downloadable versions of the magazines, along with content that came with it. This would be a nice way to keep it alive.
Exactly what I was going to suggest dswag; maybe we can work with people who have old copies to scan and load info the site! Build it, and they will come! Be glad to help n anyway that I can.
It was only a matter of time. It's tough with technology to have original stories that people would read. I remember when I subscribed, the hip thing was to take a picture of your pet reading nintendo power

View PostDarthArk, on 22 August 2012 - 06:59 PM, said:

Best wishes to the site! :) Let me know if I can help.

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind.

View Postdswag, on 22 August 2012 - 07:57 PM, said:

I hope you have great sucess with this site. Will you be putting up readable or downloadable versions of the magazines, along with content that came with it. This would be a nice way to keep it alive.

View Postneoprime33, on 22 August 2012 - 09:13 PM, said:

Exactly what I was going to suggest dswag; maybe we can work with people who have old copies to scan and load info the site! Build it, and they will come! Be glad to help n anyway that I can.

Thanks, gents. Check this out and let me know what your thoughts are. I might do this for each issue.

Nintendo Power Online
This is awesome. Way to go!
I'm starting to run into a snag. I'm having a difficult time finding PDF files.
I'm hung up on volume #4. I'll find them, it might take me a while though. :)

View PostKevin, on 23 August 2012 - 01:38 PM, said:

I'm starting to run into a snag. I'm having a difficult time finding PDF files.
I'm hung up on volume #4. I'll find them, it might take me a while though. :)

Thx for the work you're putting into this! Let me know if your still stuck on a volume and I will see what I can do to help!

View Postneoprime33, on 23 August 2012 - 09:19 PM, said:

Thx for the work you're putting into this! Let me know if your still stuck on a volume and I will see what I can do to help!

My pleasure, Neo. OK, go find PDFs for volumes 4 through 100. THAT would help out. I'm kidding. Actually, I'm not if you're not. :)
I wish I took better care of my magazines that I have, I could help out, I started subscribing with issue 20, and went through the 80s

View PostClassicgamer, on 23 August 2012 - 10:23 PM, said:

I wish I took better care of my magazines that I have, I could help out, I started subscribing with issue 20, and went through the 80s

Issue 20 (Mega Man III) didn't come out until January of 1991.
I think CG means issue number in the 80's.

I may have to do some digging and see if I have some of these around to scan.  If so, I could probably add some to the collection.

View Postsabby, on 24 August 2012 - 01:55 PM, said:

I think CG means issue number in the 80's.

Good call. After reading it again, I agree.

View Postsabby, on 24 August 2012 - 01:55 PM, said:

I may have to do some digging and see if I have some of these around to scan.  If so, I could probably add some to the collection.

Feel free to do so, but please understand that neoprime33 is hot on a trail at the moment. He has been so kind as to offer his assistance by helping find these. Additionally, I'm working with an admin from another community. Ah, collaboration! Gotta love it!
How about this...

I will look and see what I have and fill in any gaps that you encounter.  I will list them sometime next week.

View Postsabby, on 24 August 2012 - 02:03 PM, said:

How about this...

I will look and see what I have and fill in any gaps that you encounter.  I will list them sometime next week.

Perfect! Thanks for the support with this project!
What's sad is this magazine still had nearly half a million subscribers; in other words, Nintendo Power wasn't losing money.

View PostKing Mika, on 24 August 2012 - 02:23 PM, said:

What's sad is this magazine still had nearly half a million subscribers; in other words, Nintendo Power wasn't losing money.

Good point! What the heck gives with them, then? It makes...no sense to me. I think Nintendo didn't like the way Future was handling business.

View Postsabby, on 24 August 2012 - 01:55 PM, said:

I think CG means issue number in the 80's.

I may have to do some digging and see if I have some of these around to scan.  If so, I could probably add some to the collection.

:thumbsup: That's what I was meaning



How can we comment on the issues?
I found somebody selling issues 1-87 and more on a CD/DVD. Would this help you out in a way?

View PostKevin, on 24 August 2012 - 02:26 PM, said:

Good point! What the heck gives with them, then? It makes...no sense to me. I think Nintendo didn't like the way Future was handling business.

Nintendo was allegedly hard to work with. I'm assuming that Future was too ambitious for Nintendo.

View PostKing Mika, on 25 August 2012 - 12:05 AM, said:

Nintendo was allegedly hard to work with. I'm assuming that Future was too ambitious for Nintendo.

Hmmm... I am not sure where but I thought I heard that Nintendo was hard to work with before on another occasion. I just hope that they are slowly but surely changing that about themselves.

View PostKing Mika, on 25 August 2012 - 12:05 AM, said:

Nintendo was allegedly hard to work with. I'm assuming that Future was too ambitious for Nintendo.

View Postaquizero, on 27 August 2012 - 12:29 PM, said:

Hmmm... I am not sure where but I thought I heard that Nintendo was hard to work with before on another occasion. I just hope that they are slowly but surely changing that about themselves.

That's pretty much what King Mika said, dork.

View PostKevin, on 27 August 2012 - 12:43 PM, said:

That's pretty much what King Mika said, dork.

No I mean other than what King Mika said. :)

View Postaquizero, on 27 August 2012 - 12:44 PM, said:

No I mean other than what King Mika said. :)

As in hard to work with on something else, aside from Nintendo Power?

View Postaquizero, on 27 August 2012 - 12:29 PM, said:

Hmmm... I am not sure where but I thought I heard that Nintendo was hard to work with before on another occasion. I just hope that they are slowly but surely changing that about themselves.

View PostKevin, on 27 August 2012 - 12:47 PM, said:

As in hard to work with on something else, aside from Nintendo Power?

That is how I interpreted it (working with on a different project other than Nintendo Power), double dork.

View Postsabby, on 27 August 2012 - 01:35 PM, said:

That is how I interpreted it (working with on a different project other than Nintendo Power), double dork.

How dare you run over my baby elephant!